Monday, February 18, 2008

Words about Race



I have been thinking so much about our conversation last Thursday in class.

What is white? Why do we need to categorize people? What words should we use that won't be offensive? How do we know? I also noticed that in class and in your Delpit Think Pieces, so many of you used the phrase "colored people" when naming people who are not white.

There is no right answer when it comes to what words we should use.... Often my strategy is to ask people what they like to be called. And other times, I have learned by reading and talking with people about the history of certain words. If those histories are rooted in oppression or violence or injustice, I try to avoid those in my speech.

With that in mind, I am asking you to make a shift in your language. You can experiment with a wide variety of alternatives, but when talking about people of color, avoid using the term "colored people." These images, from Jim Crow America, are my reason why.




4 comments:

Marissa said...

This annoys me.. ALOT! :D

Lesley said...

Say more Marissa. What is annoying about it? Does it feel restrictive to have to pay attention to words like this?

Marissa said...

I just dont like the fact of seperating people like that its just not fair..

Tiffany said...

Hey,
Check out some new pictures I put up on my blog!